Achievements of Nan Wollman, fine artist
selected Awards & Honors
- 2010"Exotic Melange", Recent sculpture and cyanotype, Future Studio Gallery, Los Angeles, CA.
- 2007"New Perspectives", A two person exhibition at The Creative Arts Center, City of Manhattan Beach, Manhattan Beach, CA
- 2003"Sculptures and Cyanotype Prints", Solo Exhibition at Avenue 50 Studio, Highland Park, CA
- 2001Two person exhibition at the Firehouse Gallery, Rogue Community College, Grants Pass, OR
- 2000Three person exhibition with Mark Abrahamson and Audrey Burnstein at Hopper House Art Center, Nynac NY 1999
- Solo Exhibition of Cyanotypes, The Coffee Table, Los Angeles, CA
- Featured Artist, Harmony Works, Redondo Beach, CA
- 1998"Common Spirits" Solo exhibition at Lynchburg Fine Arts Center, Lynchburg, VA
- "Fanciful Furniture", two person exhibition with Michael Creed at Forestheart Studio, Woodsboro, MD
- 1996Two person exhibition at the Winston-Salem Arts Council Gallery, Winston-Salem, NC
- 1995"Common Spirits" exhibition with installation "Commune" at the Len G. Everett Gallery, Monmouth College, Monmouth, IL
- 1993Sculpture and cyanotype exhibition at North Harris Community College, Houston, TX
- 1992"Soil and Flesh" cyanotype installation at The Print Center, Philadelphia PA
- 1991Cyanotypes at the Woods Hall Photo Gallery, Tuscaloosa, AB
- 1990Sculptures at the Carrington/Gallagher Gallery, San Antonio, TX
Selected Awards & Honors
- 2008Legacy Award, “Photography at High Speed”, Millard Sheets
Center for the Arts, Pomona, CA
- 2002Merit Award, California Works Exhibition, California State Fair,
- 1998"Compliments of the House Award" from "The
Lynchburg Area Juried Show", Lynchburg Fine Arts Center, Lynchburg,
- 1996Honorable Mention from "The Lynchburg Area Photography
Show" Dillard Gallery, Lynchburg Fine Arts Center, Lynchburg, VA
- 1995Award from "The Lynchburg Area Photography Show" Dillard
Gallery, Lynchburg Fine Arts Center, Lynchburg, VA
- 1994Sculpture Award at "Galex 28" Galesburg Civic Art Center, Galesburg, IL
- Artistic Excellence Award at "The 15th Annual Maple City Fine Arts Exhibit" Geneseo, IL
- 1992Honorable Mention Award at the "Water Tower Annual" Louisville Art Association, Louisville, KY
- 1991Third Place Award at "1991 Biennial Exhibition" Fuller Lodge Art Center, Los Alamos, NM
- Edith McAshan Cash Award at "Counterpoint" Hill Country Arts Foundation, Ingram, TX
- 1990Cash Award, "23rd Annual National Show" Del Mar College, Corpus Christi, TX
- 2015'Cool Heat', Ceramics and Sculpture, Offramp Gallery, Pasadena, CA
- 2012Exhibition in memory of Hendrik Stooker, Weingart Galleries, Occidental College, Los Angeles, CA
- July 4th project/ Adam's Square Gas Station, ‘Words of American Patriots’, Glendale, CA, Curator; Michael Sheehan
- "The 6th Annual California Centered: Printmaking 2012," Merced Multicultural Arts Center,
- 2011"Pasadena: A Cultural Mosaic", The Folk Tree, Pasadena, CA.
- 2010"This 'n That", Ontario Airport, Ontario, CA, Curator Mary Oliver
- "Pillow Thoughts", urban:sanctuary, Los Angeles, CA, Curators –Rhoda Dizon, Heather Ellison, & Lyn Watanabe
- "Metal Urges", Avenue 50 Studios, Los Angeles, CA
- "Low-Tech", The Center for Fine Art Photography, Fort Collins, CO Juror; Crista Dix
- 2009"Bring The Past to Light; New Art from Old Images", Arroyo Arts Collective, at the Charles F. Lummis Home, Los Angeles, CA
- 2008"Home Is Where the Art Is", Dale Youngman Gallery, Los Angeles, CA
- "Tri-State Sculptors Member Exhibition," East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN
- "Alternatives 2008”, Quay School of Art, Wanganui, New Zealand
- 2007“Nice work if you can get it”, 2007 Rio Hondo Faculty Show, Rio Hondo College, Whittier, CA
- “2007 California Open Exhibition” , TAG - The Artists Gallery, Santa
Monica, CA Juror; Peter Frank.
- Tri-State Sculptors Member Exhibition, Rocky Mount Art Center, Rocky Mount, NC
- “Found; an Art Show of Recycled Objects” Cactus Gallery,
Los Angeles, CA
- “News: An Exploration of Topics That are in the News or Should Be”, 2ND City Council Art Gallery, Long Beach, CA Juror; Meghan Daum
- 2006“Alternatives”, Quay School of Art, Wanganui, New Zealand. Traveling exhibition to Hartwick College, Oneonta, NY
- 2005Tri-State Sculptors Member Exhibition, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC
- "Works on Paper Exhibition", Long Beach Arts, Long Beach, CA Juror; Ruth Weisberg.
- 2004“The F-Stops Here”, Gallery 825, Los Angeles, CA
- "Abstract:Photography", Gallery 218, Walker's Point Art Association,
- 2003"Suitcase Exchange Show", University Gallery, Department of Art, UNCA, Asheville, NC
- "SuitcaseExchange Show", Model Center for the Arts, Elon University, Elon, NC
- "Metamorphosis", Gallery Figueroa, Los Angeles, CA
- "Shelter", Avenue 50 Studio, Highland Park, CA
- "The Bedlam Holiday Group Show", Bedlam Arts, Los Angeles, CA
- "100% Natural", Gallery 825, Los Angeles, CA
- Selected Works from the Permanent Collection, Galesburg Civic Art Center, Galesburg IL
- 2002"American Portfolio", Chemeketa Community College, Salem OR
- 2000"OK to Touch", Invitational at Angels Gate Cultural Center,
3601 So. Gaffey Street, San Pedro, CA 90731
- 1999"The Print Show "- at the Maude Kerns Art Center, Eugene, OR
- "$50 to $500 Holiday Show" - at Articulture, Hermosa Beach, CA
- Juried Exhibition, Vision Gallery, Chandler Arts Commission, Chandler, AZ
- "Furnishings from Nature" Exhibition - FireHouse Gallery, Rogue Community College, Grants Pass, OR
- 1998Invitational, Zone One Contemporary Gallery, Asheville, NC
- 1997"No Place Like Home" - Art Centric Gallery, Milwaukee, WI
- 1996"Craft Forms '96" - Wayne Art Center, Wayne, PA.
- "Mixed Bag: mixed media invitational" - the Boardroom Gallery, Winston-Salem Forsyth Arts Council, Winston-Salem, NC
- 1995"14th Annual Henley Southeastern Spectrum"Associated Artists and Milton Rhodes Galleries, Winston-Salem, NC
- "The 17th Annual Made in VA Exhibition" Vista Fine Crafts, Middleburg, VA
- "Studios Midwest 10th Anniversary Exhibition" Galesburg Civic Art Center, Galesburg, IL
- "Quad-State Juried Exhibition" Quincy Art Center, Quincy, IL
- 1994"Second Annual Regional Invitational" Gallery West Art House, Davenport, IA
- 1993"28th Annual National Juried Competition" Academy of the Arts, Easton, MD
- 1992"The Amarillo Competition, 1991" Amarillo Art Center, Amarillo TX
- 1991"Confluences" 9th Annual National Juried Art Exhibition, Hill Country Arts Foundation, Ingram, TX
- 1990"24th Annual National Drawing and Small Sculpture Show " Del Mar College, Corpus Christi, TX
- 2010"Preserving the Chemical Photography Era", Getty Conservation Institute, Dr. Dusan C. Stulik, Los Angeles, CA
- 2007Easy Reader, August 30, 2007, volume 38, number 1, photo 7, 34
- Hixon, Michael, “Unique ‘Perspectives’”, The Beach Reporter, August 30, 2007, volume 31, number 30, 63, 70, photo 63, 70
- 2007 Gottlieb, Shirle, “Bringing it on!”, Press Telegram, April 27, 2007, photo 25.
- 2006Fabbri, Malin; and Fabbri, Gary; Blueprint to Cyanotype. Stockholm, Sweden, Malin Fabbri, AlternativePhotography.com, 2006. photo 52.
- 2004"Insight; Nan Wollman", The Crafts Report, January 2004, photo 22.
- 2003Friedrich, Kristine. "Home for the Holidays; Gallery Looks at What Residency, or Lack Thereof, Means", Los Angeles Downtown News, December 15, 2003, 21
- 2002"Suitcase Exchange Show," The Window, Fall 2002: October/November/December, volume VI, issue 4, 4.
- Wilson, Anne. "Sculpture Exhibits Come in All Sizes," Triad Style, October 16, 2002, volume 19, number 42, 13.
- 2000Gottlieb, Shirle. “Calling on your inner child”, Press-Telegram, Long Beach, CA (September 29th, 2000,) 4
- “Art and Text by Nan Wollman”, Sarasvati, 11, May/June 2000, photo, 4-5.
- “Visual Art”, Ellipsis: Literature and Art, 36, Spring 2000, photo 54-6.
- “Printmaking gets a closer look”, Register-Guard, Eugene, OR Jan 9, 2000.
- Gallery Decker, Edith. “Fun. Fancy. Funky. Furniture.”, Grants Pass Daily Courier
- 1999Grants Pass, OR (July 15th, 1999) B1 and photograph.
- Wollman, Nan, interviewed by Carol Duvall for “The Carol Duvall Show”, HGTV, Los Angeles, CA Fall 1999.
- Hudson Valley Arts Center, The Artful Mind, Great Barrington, MA, May. 1999.
- “Artist creates light sculpture”, The Independent, Hillsdale, NY, May 1999.
- “Arts Center featuring sculpted light works by Nan Wollman this month”, Register Star, Hudson, NY, May 1999
- 1998Wollman, Nan, interviewed by Michelle Bolen for “Good Morning Virginia,” WEST ABC-TV, Lynchburg Fine Arts Center, Lynchburg VA, 6am, Aug 21, 1998.
- Patterson, Kristin. “Two exhibits showcase talent of Virginia women”. The News and Advance. (August 7, 1998) D1
- “The Lights Fantastic”, The Paper, May , 1998, photo; cover, 9.
- 1993“Artists in the News”, Arts Beat Magazine, August , 1993, 2.
- 1991Pyne, Lynn. “Sophisticates show debuts at Ashland”. The Phoenix Gazette, (April 15, 1991) D1.
- 1990Texas Fine Arts Association, “At the Edge II: A National Print and Drawing Exhibition”, Austin, TX 1990
- Del Mar College, “24th Annual National Drawing and Small Sculpture Show”, Corpus Christi, TX 1990.
- 1989Del Mar College, “23rd Annual National Drawing and Small Sculpture Show” , Corpus Christi, TX 1989
- 1987State University of New York in Syracuse, Syracuse, NY 1987. “Banff in Syracuse ‘87", Contact, Issue 68, March, 1987, C-9
- Steel and glass coat rack for David Diaz, Los Angeles, CA
- Steel Chandelier for Perdita Buchon, Ocean Grove, NJ
- Steel "Flowers" for Susan Boscarino, Takoma Park, MD
- Steel “Award" Houses for The Shelter Partnership, Los Angeles, CA
- Sign and gate decoration for “Step Up On Second”, Santa Monica, CA
- Steel chandelier, Margaret and Hank Fishkin, Lynchburg, PA
- Steel sign for “Harmony Works”, Redondo Beach, CA
- Steel sign for “Superclown”. Old Torrance, CA
- Steel gate “Pond”, Renato and Laura Flores, Los Angeles, CA
- Steel and stone table, Marilyn Martin, Lynchburg, VA
- Steel and glass hanging lamp, Claudia Marchini, Grants Pass, OR
- Steel lamp, Shelley Reuben, Lynchburg, VA
- Steel and glass table, Katherine Sohigian, Venice, CA
- Steel and wood table lamp, Marjorie Wollman, Phila. PA with Michael Creed
- Steel chandelier, Margaret and Hank Fishkin, Lynchburg, VA
- Steel wall sconce and assorted housewares, Susan Boscarino, Takoma Park, MD
- Steel fireplace mantle, Anne Kerr, Appomattox, VA
- Steel and glass table with light, Lee Wessof, Los Angeles, CA
- Lamps, Steel headboard and assorted housewares, Royce Morales, Los Angeles, CA
- Stair Railing, Glenda and Dan Madrid, Los Angeles, CA
- 1994The Virginia Center for the Creative Arts, Sweet Briar, VA
- 1993The Vermont Studio Center, Johnson, VT
- 1992"Studios Midwest" Galesburg , IL
- 1991Emerging Professional Artist, Appalachian Center for Crafts, Smithville, TN
- 1987Participant, The Banff Center, School of Fine Arts, Banff, AB Canada
- Arroyo Arts Collective, Los Angeles, CA, , 2003-Present
- Tri-State Sculptors Guild, North Carolina, 2002 - present
- L.A. Art Association, Los Angeles, CA, 1999 - 2004
- Board of Directors, Riverviews, Lynchburg, VA. 1996 - 98
- International Sculpture Center, Hamilton NJ, 1995 - present
- 1990M.F.A. in sculpture, The University of Texas at San Antonio, San Antonio, TX
- 1986B.F.A. in ceramics, The University of the Arts, Phila. College of Art, Philadelphia, PA